Even your mom will like it

Should we do a dramatic reading of Beowulf on air?

Monday, July 9, 2007

Mail Bag 7-9-07

Not to appear partial but regarding the written contract discussion, I have to side more with Jered, sorry Eric. When I say “side more” that does not mean totally. A written contract or statement gives you a better chance, but it is no lock. How many professional and college coaches have walked away from written contracts; I don’t know the answer but it is a lot. As for written warnings regarding safety issues, it doesn’t mean squat. How about the sign in coat check room that says “not responsible for items etc. or signs on trucks that say they are not responsible for objects that fly off the truck; the signs mean nothing, they just are there to let you think they are not liable. Pre-empting another misguided thought; why do consumer products companies put warnings on consumer products? Easy answer –bureaucracy! I spent many years in the chemical industry and we had warnings on how to handle safely all over the place ( we even did safety training); when accidents happened and the poor soul that got hurt sat in front of the jury; I never remember us winning.

Here’s an idea, walk down the street with a sign around your neck reading “I am very dangerous and I am not liable if I hurt you”. Kick the crap out of somebody and bring your sign as evidence to the judge. Hey! You warned him of the danger!

Here come de judge!

No comments: